performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 02-15-06, 09:02 PM   #1
le pire

Default contract line item

I just got a contract today that had this in it:

Performer shall:

B: Provide entertainment based upon performers own original material and shall not adopt, borrow, or use in any way the material of any other entertainer.

This clause should be in every contract -- starting with Buskers Festivals!

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 12:03 AM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I saw you use the cheek kiss gag at the motion fest video shoot!
kind of sucks because sometimes it's hard to know what's really fair game stock versus what Jim wrote a few years back before you were a performer.

* I agree

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 12:28 AM   #3
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan Young
I saw you use the cheek kiss gag at the motion fest video shoot!
*You did change it in a clever way, and I laughed my ass off.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 02:47 PM   #4
jester

Jester

What? You mean I'm not the only juggler who does the cheek kiss gag? Wow!

I seem to be the only one that doesn't do the "Here is an englishman juggling, here is an Australian Juggling, Here is an Irish/Polish/Mexican Juggling.

I agree entirely. There are some jokes which are quite simply public domain, and I think the odd gag is acceptable, but I have seen people copy entire routines from other performers.... Yeuck.

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 06:24 PM   #5
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Wink

So, Steve, were they upset that you couldn't accept the contract?

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 06:45 PM   #6
le pire

I REALLY want to same something snarky here that could get me into a lot of trouble. Must... hold... back... urge... to... be... snarky...

etienne
Old 04-02-06, 07:09 PM   #7
Rachel Peters

oh, common now. Nobody's going to believe that you REALLY had something snarky to say if you "hold back".
common. common common common.

(side note: I, personally, very much dislike the cheek kiss gag. But that's just me sayin'.)

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 07:11 PM   #8
Rachel Peters

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephon
So, Steve, were they upset that you couldn't accept the contract?

Budump bump. Thank you! He's here all week! He recommends you try the veal!

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 04-03-06, 09:35 AM   #9
jester

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel Peters
I, personally, very much dislike the cheek kiss gag.
So it's YOU that called the police!

Old 04-03-06, 12:26 PM   #10
Rachel Peters

Probably. ...I do that so often, I just can't remember anymore.

and PS: Maybe I just mostly dislike being victom to the cheek kiss gag. If other women are fine with it, it's no skin off my back.

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 04-03-06, 02:13 PM   #11
gav

yeah but it's not like you can ask them first is it.
i know from experience that people will go with something at the time, but later feel not so good about it. even to the point of complaining, if they can think of someone to complain to.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 02:19 PM   #12
fettucinibrother

Quote:
Originally posted by jester
So it's YOU that called the police!
I know that this thread started as "contract line item", but as it has taken on this "cheek kissing gag" subject. I have to chime in with a little side note on that gag. A performer from the NC area, a former Ringling Clown College Grad, actually had sexual harassment charges bought up on him for doing that gag. Of course, he being "not the brightest bulb in the bunch", did the gag on a teenage girl with her father right there. As I did not actually witness it first hand, I do not know the exact specific details of it all. When he told me the story it seemed a little strange and a little hard to believe. However, if you knew this guy, as I do, it might make more sense. He has terrible luck, it seems. But it just goes to show you that one needs to be careful in todays litigious environment (at least in the US, anyway). If you're gonne do that gag, choose your victim carefully. Not sure how it all played out in the end. But I know that he stopped performing as a result of it.
Alfredo Fettucini
Old 04-03-06, 02:43 PM   #13
Rachel Peters

The thing about being a volunteer for something like that is that if I don't do it -- if I don't play along (to whatever the joke is), I come out looking like the jerk. So, of course I'm going to go along with it, right? Just makes a person resentful in the end. The joke itself is funny enough to watch (if you happen to have never seen it before), but the volunteer has no choice but to play along or they've spoiled everyone else's fun.
I have had it attempted on me and luckily there wasn't really a crowd, because I politely whispered to him, "I know that one." and I walked away. ...But I know I looked like a stuck-up spoil sport for having done that.
I get a little tense and anxious when I see an unknown performer with child volunteers for that reason. The parent and the child have put a lot of trust in that performer, and a child -especially- is bound to go along with a gag that a popular adult has told him to go along with, with Mom and Dad and an entire crowd looking on, smiling.
There's one act I've seen too many times which involves child volunteers and it makes me pretty angry. I can't watch this dude perform anymore, because it's a staple part of his act. ...And I don't think any kid would come out of it feeling too great about it. I'll avoid naming names. Nice guy, but I feel he breaks that parent/performer trust.
There's just a lot of responsibility on you people. Always be conscious of that!!

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 04-03-06, 03:12 PM   #14
jester

Jester

At my old school (Larkhill) the teacher I did the cheek kiss gag on was mortified. I felt very very bad for her, and while her colleagues claim she was a prude, I feel I violated her trust. That said many people have refused to kiss me and I think that is funnier and it makes the girl look really cool as long as I react in the correct way.

I now use a completely different gag that involves a kiss, but in this one the victim sees it coming and I have a get out if I sense any kind of reluctance at all.

I think with Sars, Bird Flu and Herpes, the cheek kiss gag belongs on this forum and not in our act.

Old 04-03-06, 04:05 PM   #15
pixiejester

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally posted by jester
the cheek kiss gag belongs on this forum and not in our act.
I agree with that, like what Rachel said, I do not like it either.
pixiejester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 05:46 PM   #16
Rachel Peters

Yes. This is just my assumption (because I haven't asked every woman), but I have a feeling that -prude or not- far more women feel slightly violated by that gag than they let on. They play along because they don't want to ruin the party.
Sub-sub-topic for a feature length documentary, perhaps??
Getting back closer to the forum thread though, Etienne's twist on it is cute one.

-rp

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 04-03-06, 06:15 PM   #17
le pire

Hey Alfredo,

Yeah I remember seeing JoJo the clown talk about the charges brought up on him. He picked a 12-14 year old girl in a shopping mall who was with other 12-14 year old girls. And he was in full clown make up. Way to go Bozo. Jojo, or whatever. Dirty clowns.

"The Kiss" gag, like many pieces of comic material is a risky bit and as perfomers we have to pick and choose our material to make it appropriate for the audience that we are actually in front of.

One of the Ringling guys, EZ, or Tuba or Toto, I can't remember which, told about how he uses the "kiss" bit if and when he does it. First, he picks an old woman, who is with other old women. Never an old woman who is with her kids or grand kids, because then she is a MATRON and must be respected. When she is with her peers it's different.

(side note: I used to be a waiter in a restaurant in Paris that catered to British tour buses. When ever their was a group of grannies, they all grabbed my ass when ever I passed by. Old British women, when all together and in a foreign country have to be the randiest group of people on the planet.)

Also, by using an old woman, he is breaking a social taboo that says older women are unattractive. If he feels the SLIGHTEST unwillingness on the part of the volunteer or senses that the audience would consider him a pervert - he doest not do the gag. That's the important part -- having the experience and sensitivity to know your audience and where THEY draw the line.

Rachel draws lines for a living... hmmmmm...

etienne
Old 04-03-06, 06:37 PM   #18
Rachel Peters

Thanks. I fully concur. Perception is the hugest of assets --nay, prerequisites.

Quote:
Originally posted by le pire

Rachel draws lines for a living... hmmmmm...

etienne

Yeah. I suppose it just comes naturally to me.

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 04-03-06, 06:49 PM   #19
fettucinibrother

Default The cheek kiss gag continued...

Hey Etienne,
Great points you bring up. Especially the last sentence of the last paragraph. That pretty much sums it up.
Ah yes, so "Just Joey" (Bozo, Jojo , whatever...very funny) must have taken the story on the Ringling CC grads list. There are probably a number of you folks out here that are on that list. In which case, you probably know more about the story than I. Yes, Dirty Clowns...
Funny you should also mention EZ (or Toto or Tuba...very funny) in the same post. I just worked with him yesterday at an NBA game. I got him a gig here in Charlotte, doing pre-game entertainment at the Bobcats game, as a balloon folder (or as we call it, torquing rubber).
Ciao for now,
Alfredo
Old 04-03-06, 07:11 PM   #20
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Question

If I may play devil's advocate for a moment-

I've seen the gag used many times, and I've used it myself a couple. Not once have I seen a performer assault the volunteer; no groping, no tongue, no open mouth.

We are talking about a chaste peck on the lips!

How is this a "violation"? At worst, it's an "ok, you got me".

Is it really that much more significant than a kiss on the cheek? Is it because the volunteer has entered into a "contract", but then the agreement is broken? If that's the case, about 80% of people who volunteer for any act would have grounds for complaint.

Obviously, no thinking person would pull it on a child. But I hardly think it qualifies (with an adult) as sexual harrassment.

Ok, let me have it.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote