performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 02-22-06, 06:47 PM   #1
Magic Mickey

Question Amps in Seattle

I am a performer in Seattle. Many of the pitches in seattle such as Pike Place Market and Seattle Center state that performing is only aloud "un-pluged". This means no mics or music. Does any one know how strictly they inforce this policy?
stilt walker, and balloon twister
Magic Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 11:47 PM   #2
Eric Evans

Are there any pitches in Seattle that are big enough to warrant the use of an amp?

You might check with Tom Frank over at Industrialstrengthmagic.com (at least I think that's his sites name)
Otherwise, try it out and see what happens. What the worst that could happen? They gonna throw you in a hole and lose the key?
Eric Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 08:50 AM   #3
Magic Mickey

Tom performs mostly at the Pike Place Market which is not realy big enough to get a circle show going. The Seattle Center often has festivals during the summer and I'm thinking that that would be the place that you would get a much bigger audinece by using one. I will try to check with Tom any way though and see what he has to say.
stilt walker, and balloon twister
Magic Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 08:02 PM   #4
UCO

Westlake center and across the street have pitches big enough to use an amp, The park at the end of Pikes is good on the rare sunny day.
All of which are possible, The seattle center from what I hear has tons of red tape on everything. I do know at folklife festivals you are not allowed an amp. but the crowds are ok.
Old 03-01-07, 12:00 PM   #5
johnhuber206

Send a message via AIM to johnhuber206

What about outside of Safeco and Qwest Field during games? I've seen a few street performers down there during M's games before.
Old 03-02-07, 01:22 AM   #6
Mama Lou

I'm curious to see if anyone has worked that cobblestone street down in Pioneer Square (off Yessler somewhere?) It looks like it might be promising when it's warm.
Old 03-02-07, 03:57 PM   #7
UCO

USA

I heard that busking was banned in Seattle. maybe just a rumour.
I have worked Pioneer square years ago. Crappy but I was pretty green then.
Art walk was my stomping grounds every first thursday. I have also been kicked off by cops ever since the WTO protests. I recommend the park on the far side of the market on sunny days. That pitch has heaps of potential.
Old 03-07-07, 11:00 AM   #8
misterfact

USA Busking on PRIVATE property

I usually just play my violin on private property (malls, cars exiting
Walmart parking lots, in FRONT of Publix Food Stores, PRIVATE property next to festival crowds, etc.)for tips, without asking for permission. If they want me to leave- the manager will come and ask me politely (which
isn't very often-since people generally like my playing)

The police have no authority to enforce ANY local governmental regulations if you are engaging in a LEGAL activity (busking) on PRIVATE property!

You do NOT have to show the police any written permission! The fact that you have been playing there for a reasonable length of time without being asked to leave- constitutes UNDERSTOOD non-written, tacit permission.

If the cop questions your permission-he can contact the owner.

mike misterfact@yahoo.com

please contact me at the above email address if you know of any lawyers in the United States who have experience in these matters. It's time to SUE !
misterfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:27 AM   #9
johnhuber206

Send a message via AIM to johnhuber206

Quote:
Originally posted by Mama Lou
I'm curious to see if anyone has worked that cobblestone street down in Pioneer Square (off Yessler somewhere?) It looks like it might be promising when it's warm.
Pioneer Square might be good on a Friday or Saturday night, when all the drunk clubgoers are out and about. I bet one of my light-up yo-yo mods would go over nicely down there.

I wouldn't know for sure though, since I haven't tried in years. The last time was in early 2001, when I was still a rookie yo-yo player. In less than 30 minutes I pulled in $35, and it was all because of intoxicated people walking by.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...