performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 04-10-02, 06:52 AM   #1
gerry nelson

Scot Amplification in Europe

has anyone got any recent info with regard to using amplification in europe
Old 04-10-02, 07:52 AM   #2
Chance

Gerry,

My show is indeed amplified, and during the past 4 years I have made Europe my home.

In fact, since my sound system is self-made, and since I have re-designed it 5 times during my tenure here, and since I am intimately familiar with the amplification ordinances (among other things) of dozens of European cities, it could safely be said that I am an authority on "amplification in Europe".

But... Hey, wait a minute! Aren't you that Gerry Nelson from my Japan thread? The One Man Band living and busking in Japan who refuses to be helpful and even makes fun of people when they ask you direct questions about Japan?

Can you imagine that?!...

I'm sorry, I got a little distracted there. What was your question again?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-02, 12:03 PM   #3
Scot Free

Gerry, don't go to europe, I don't know what Chance is talking about,they don't let you use amplification in Europe. Besides Europe needs another one-man-band like you need a second urethra.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 08:04 AM   #4
gerry nelson

Cool

Scot,
To be honest I'm just about at the age when a new urethra would be pretty handy. But thanks for the info.

Chance,
I'm not quite sure what to make of you . You seem to look at the world thru rose colored glasses. By that I mean you seem to see only what you want to see, and become disillusioned when things don't stack up to your ideals . This is NOT the theatre, it's the street, and most people who work the street choose to do so because they can't stand the bullshit that is associated with the more conventional outlets for entertainment (rules and regulations). In other words, we choose the brand of bullshit that comes with working the street. In my experience over the last fifteen years I've witnessed many instances where performers help each other out, and I've also come accross my share of scumbags. But that's no different than any other business.
If you examine the posts I submitted to your other thread OBJECTIVELY you'll see that what I said was actually quite helpful. What I didn't actually put into words is the fact that it IS pretty fucked over here at present. I go out these days with the expectation of making only about 25 to 30% of what I was making two years ago. Anyway mate, you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you so choose. What you think of me is really none of my business. If you ever end up here in Japan, I hope you give me a call. I'd be glad to help you out. But don't expect me to publicise in this forum the few places where I can still get a few shows in without getting busted.
Old 04-11-02, 10:52 AM   #5
Scot Free

Gerry, if you are serious about a new urethra you should check out the performers and body modification thread. I understand you may get some input from LDR and Frack. They have both drilled new holes in their dicks, but I don't think they can piss out 'em.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 04:00 PM   #6
Chance

Well Gerry, you are in luck. It seems I have just enough time to respond to your letter before I take care of something much more meaningful, like, for example, clipping my toe nails.

Here goes nothing...

[quote]Chance, I'm not quite sure what to make of you. You seem to look at the world thru rose colored glasses. By that I mean you seem to see only what you want to see, and become disillusioned when things don't stack up to your ideals.<hr></blockquote>

So according to you I have an overly optomistic outlook on life. This is suppossed to be an insult? Have you any fucking idea how cynical I am by nature? Let me tell you: VERY!! Have you any idea how much time I spend dealing with this charater flaw, hoping to become just a little more carefree, loving and optomistic as each day goes on? So thank you. Your backhanded compliment, whether you meant it or not, is welcome.

[quote]This is NOT the theatre, it's the street, and most people who work the street choose to do so because they can't stand the bullshit that is associated with the more conventional outlets for entertainment (rules and regulations). In other words, we choose the brand of bullshit that comes with working the street.

In my experience over the last fifteen years I've witnessed many instances where performers help each other out, and I've also come accross my share of scumbags. But that's no different than any other business.<hr></blockquote>

That is absolutely, without exception, the biggest cop-out I have ever heard in my life.

Maybe as a busker I do enjoy certain freedoms. Maybe as a busker I do hate the thought of being pinned down by certain "rules and regulations". But when I made the switch and became a busker I did not check my integrity at the door! Did you? It sure sounds like you are trying to justify your actions by saying, "Well, hey, I'm only a busker now, so what do you expect -- honesty and integrity? Get real!"

You actually said to me "Are you serious?" when I asked you a direct question about how best to work in Japan, which happens to be your current area of expertise.

Are you serious? What the hell are you even bothering with these boards for, if all you intend to do is mock the very people who need your help most?

So according to your examples from above, would this be the "helpful" attitude, or the "scumbag"?

[quote]If you examine the posts I submitted to your other thread OBJECTIVELY you'll see that what I said was actually quite helpful.<hr></blockquote>

Taking your advice, I did re-read your letters in my Japan thread just now. Here are the results:

Even after leaving several letters, you never even mentioned which island you live on or which city you live in. Nor did you mention by name any cities to find work in, what streets are best, which parks or festivals, nothing. Neither did you offer any suggestions on the Japanese people themselves, or their culture -- any of which would have been truly helpful, not just supposedly helpful.

[quote]What I didn't actually put into words is the fact that it IS pretty fucked over here at present. I go out these days with the expectation of making only about 25 to 30% of what I was making two years ago. Anyway mate, you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you so choose. What you think of me is really none of my business.<hr></blockquote>

So maybe it is time to get some new blood over there, you think? Maybe the days of the One Man Band are over and it is time for some dreaded juggler or escape artist to enter the picture.

[quote]If you ever end up here in Japan, I hope you give me a call. I'd be glad to help you out.<hr></blockquote>

So let me make sure I understand this correctly. After I buy the ticket and come over to an island I am not even sure you live on, then you are going to gladly help me out with all I need to know. Sorry, but I prefer to get the parachute before I jump, thanks.

[quote]But don't expect me to publicise in this forum the few places where I can still get a few shows in without getting busted.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I know what you mean, Gerry. Why in the name of god would I expect you to publicise anything in this forum? I mean, what is this place after all, a bulletin board for buskers or something? A place where dozens of buskers are activily engaged in trying to tear down the very wall of silence you, and many others like you, are hiding behind? Have no fear, though, your secret is safe with me!
Old 04-11-02, 07:33 PM   #7
gerry nelson

Chance,
What can I say? Maybe you should stick to clipping your toe nails. But first you should pull both feet out of your mouth. Oh, and while your at it, pull your head out of your arse
Old 04-12-02, 01:25 AM   #8
jonnyflash
your private dancer

Here's a good pic of the old head up the butt trick.

http://www.itsnotbutter.com/

Gerry,You've spoiled my career by spreading the heresy that I'm a fifteen year old trapped in a 25 year old body! I'm not a man of the cloth(I prefer paper towel) and there's as little young boy in me as there is me in young boys.

Now you tell me something.....

What's the sound of a one man band clapping?
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

www.jonflash.com
jonnyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-02, 07:02 AM   #9
Chance

Angry

Dammit, those spy cams are everywhere! I'll get you for that, Jonny! Just you wait -- I'll get yooouuuuuuu...
Old 04-12-02, 07:05 AM   #10
Chance

Jonny...

'One Man Band clapping'? -- or 'One Hand Man slapping'? [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-02, 04:02 PM   #11
Mr.Taxi Trix

GOOD photo, Jonny. My ex girlfriend told me I was really good at that trick, but I couldn't hear her anyway.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote