performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > CURTAIN CALLS

Old 03-14-06, 10:26 PM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Default Wayne Condo

Quote:
This short thread was pulled from the archive I have of the OLD p.net boards. These are the three posts associated with Wayne Condo's death in 1998. Feel free to add more thoughts here...
A star just went out in the skies of our world yesterday..

It's breaking my heart to announce this..

Wayne Condo died whist performing at the Edmonton Festival yesterday..

He was one of our greatest performers with a richness and wealth of experience second to none. He left behind the love of his life, Nanie (an equally exceptional performer) and his two sons, Jackson and Timothy..

We, the street performers and community in Australia are in a deep state of shock right now..

When there will be a service in Melbourne, I will be making the trip down. If anyone wishes to send their condolences I will make sure they are heard by all..

Bless you Wayne for the joy and laughter you brought into our lives. I'll never forget you and will always
miss you..

Dom

dom <dom@zip.com.au>
Sydney, NSW Australia - Tuesday, July 14, 1998 at 23:59:23 (EDT)

------------------------------------------------------

05:07 PM ET 07/14/98

Australian mime dies during Canadian performance

EDMONTON, Alberta (Reuters) - An Australian mime collapsed and died from a massive heart attack during a performance at a Canadian street performers' festival as 300 stunned spectators
watched in horror.

Wayne Condo, a 45-year-old mime from Melbourne, Australia, was midway through his last show late Monday evening at the Edmonton International Street Performers Festival when he
suddenly fell to the ground and lay motionless.
He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead early Tuesday.

"Initially, people thought it was part of his act. That was their first reaction. As soon as they realized that something was wrong, they tried to resuscitate him,'' said Darka Tarnawsky, a spokeswoman for the festival.

Condo's death jarred the tightly-knit fraternity of eclectic street performers who have gathered for the past 14 years to amaze and amuse Edmonton's residents.

"It's definitely a shock. Nobody knows of something like this ever happening before in a festival. The performers are all dealing with it in their own ways,'' Tarnawsky said.

Condo, who trained as a clown in Paris and was co-founder of the Australian comedy troupe Antebodies, had many friends and admirers.

"He was a great performer and a very personable and warm person, so he really got to know everybody quickly,'' Tarnawsky said.

Festival organizers said they had decided to continue the festival as scheduled and would dedicate a special performance Friday night in Condo's memory.

^REUTERS@

Jim <jimshow@smirk.com>
- Wednesday, July 15, 1998 at 16:53:54 (EDT)

Like everyone else who knew him must be right now I too am terribly sad about the passing away of Wayne Condo. He was a lovely man to be around as well as a great inspiration as a truly enthusiastic performer.

I know many of us are in the middle of our busy season, doing lots of shows and hopefully making lots of money, but when you are out there doing your thing try to remember the most important part about performing and life for that matter.

One day we are all going to die and the only thing that can make up for that sad fact is trying to spread as much joy as possible to others while we're still here.

Wayne certainly gave great joy to many others. He will be very missed.

Rex

Rex Boyd
London, England - Wednesday, July 22, 1998 at 09:55:05 (EDT)
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote