performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 11-06-06, 08:51 AM   #81
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jayrodin
People read and watch stories they find entertaining in some way. From what I’ve read this one got A LOT of coverage. It must have been VERY entertaining. To say no one was entertained- you are fools, all of you.
Morbid curiosity is a part of human nature. The fact that people are interested doesn't mean they're entertained.

People slow down to look at a horrible car wreck. They are curious. They doesn't make it entertainment.

After five years, 9/11 is still being covered on news and information programs. Was that entertaining for you, too?

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~

Last edited by Stephon; 11-06-06 at 09:14 AM.
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 09:06 AM   #82
Seadawg

Has everyone heard the line...
"Jesuis loves you but the rest of think you are an A$$Hole..."

I guess each of us can figure out who loves who, but at the end of the day, this whole thing still remains a really bad idea.
Old 11-06-06, 09:13 AM   #83
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Nelson
rescue resources, thats another thing, and by all accounts he is paying for their services. Just like if I put a show on in a theatre i would pay for technicians.
Please.

Only if someone called the technicians and said, "Grab all your equipment--someone's putting on a show!"

"No, I don't know what it is."

"No, I don't know how long it'll last."

"No, I don't know how many of you he'll need."

"No, I don't know if it'll keep you from a bigger show that needs you more."

"No, I don't know if it'll be worth all your efforts, or if he really even needs you."

You make arrangements with tech people ahead of time, for a set period, at a set price.

"M.Patrick" could have arranged to have emergency crew there in case something went wrong (many performers do), but I'll bet he would have changed his plans when they told him it would cost $25,000 up front.

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-06-06, 10:22 AM   #84
Lee Nelson

stephon, those quotes you made are why it costs so much to hire the emergency services. By the nature of their profession it is unplanned. I stand by the analogy. If he had emergency guys there at the time it might have produced a totally different affect from that which he chose to achieve.

and Jesus, I totally agree with your reply to my comment that M.Patrick is making himself not much of a commodity. Only because he in fact did not. With better planning, ie not being found hiding in a motel the next day, the story could have been much bigger. What if hed struggled in the water for 2 days and fought off an alligator whilst still in his straightjacket. That would have been totally newsworthy.

Basically, he had a good idea but made a balls up of it.
If you take the time to look back in the history of variety artists which for the purposes of this post I am just going to do by memory because I am lazy. We have a long tradition of doing stupid stunts to gain notoriety. Case in points would be public escape attempts by Houdini, Niagara Falls tightrope exhibitions by Blondin and even the Twin Towers walk by Petit.
Present day we have Mr David Blain doing similiarly banal attention seeking stuff as well.
The difference as far as I can see it is the level of success.

I just admire a guy for trying, if indeed fame and publicity was the purpose. I dont know. Maybe he bought a hit of crack off a fellow Key West performer just before going on!!! (that last sentence was comedy people)

Last edited by Lee Nelson; 11-06-06 at 10:27 AM.
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 10:28 AM   #85
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Lightbulb Ta-Da!!

Quote:
Maybe he bought a hit of crack off a fellow Key West performer just before going on!!!
Now we know the rest of the story!

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 02:00 PM   #86
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default All right guys...

Let's wait until we here the rest of the story from Mike. He's a great guy and this is getting kinda offensive.

What if he resurfaced, got to land and panicked when he saw all the commotion??

I happen to know that according to previous conversations with him that his lease was up on Oct. 31st. And maybe he had already been checked into the B&B.

When I visit the Keys I haved stayed at his house and when he comes to Clearwater he stays at mine.

Michael has a very good head on his shoulders but on our last visit something didn't seem right.
Old 11-06-06, 07:18 PM   #87
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Nelson
stephon, those quotes you made are why it costs so much to hire the emergency services. By the nature of their profession it is unplanned. I stand by the analogy.
I'll have to ask you to explain that.

To me, the above completely supports what I was saying; emergency service work and theater technician work are nothing alike.

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-06-06, 07:19 PM   #88
Peter Voice

I really do hope Mike has the courage to explain it all here and answer the big questions.
Old 11-07-06, 06:10 AM   #89
FreeCells

Default Was it entertaining?

According to the definition of the word entertainment, I would have to agree that Michael's stunt was entertaining. Not entertaining in the sense of the word meaning something pleasurable, but in another sense of the word. It was definitely a diversion, and it was also a performance of some kind in wich both are a meaning of the word entertainment.

The meaning of entertainment from http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...=entertainment

en ter tain ment  /entər-teyn-muh nt/ [en-ter-teyn-muhnt]

–noun 1. the act of entertaining; agreeable occupation for the mind; diversion; amusement: Solving the daily crossword puzzle is an entertainment for many.
2. something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind: The highlight of the ball was an elaborate entertainment.
3. hospitable provision for the needs and wants of guests.
4. a divertingly adventurous, comic, or picaresque novel.
5. Obsolete. maintenance in service.
If we be rude to those who are rude to us it just costs us money. Others will see our rudeness and not come back, nor will they bring others to our show the next year. If we are rude all year we are setting ourself up for a slow next year and a slower following year. If we are rude to one person, 10 others will feel the effect. Plan for a better future. If you went to see someones show and the performer dogged you hard would you ever come back to the show? Would you bring your family or friends to see it next year? If you are nice to those who are rude to you it will burn them up more than if you jumped into their game with them, and others who see it will tip more... I would

Last edited by FreeCells; 11-07-06 at 06:13 AM.
FreeCells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 06:14 AM   #90
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus

Well that makes it all different and A-OK!
Where do I send my money?

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 06:33 AM   #91
FreeCells

My comment wasn't written to make everything ok or to solicit money. When I read the "it is" and "it is NOT" entertainment arguement written earlier, I decided to look it up and find out for myself if in fact it was or was not entertainment.

My post was just written for information purposes with hopes to help end one of the many arguements within this topic.
If we be rude to those who are rude to us it just costs us money. Others will see our rudeness and not come back, nor will they bring others to our show the next year. If we are rude all year we are setting ourself up for a slow next year and a slower following year. If we are rude to one person, 10 others will feel the effect. Plan for a better future. If you went to see someones show and the performer dogged you hard would you ever come back to the show? Would you bring your family or friends to see it next year? If you are nice to those who are rude to you it will burn them up more than if you jumped into their game with them, and others who see it will tip more... I would

Last edited by FreeCells; 11-07-06 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 08:40 AM   #92
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default Miles...

Miles, is there any way you can find out his situation. I have a performer here who also is an accomplished magician and a BONDSMAN. ( he is interested in possibly helping Michael get out)

contact me with any info you might be able to get. Maybe you could possibly try and contact his girlfriend or go visit him and see what he wants to do.
Old 11-07-06, 10:48 AM   #93
jeep caillouet

Default bond

Hey Dallas, contact Evelyn Ortega at 305-296-6145. She can probably get that imfo. for you including his girl friend's #. Tell her you talked to me. Come on Dallas what question? Inquiring mind want to know! Will told me he was going see him.
Old 11-07-06, 02:28 PM   #94
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeCells
My post was just written for information purposes with hopes to help end one of the many arguements within this topic.
The problem is that you didn't apply any kind of context to the words/phrases you highlighted.

Quote:
Not entertaining in the sense of the word meaning something pleasurable, but in another sense of the word
That is the only sense of the word in those definitions (with the exception of number 5, which has no application to this topic.) Every definition specifies the requirement of some type of enjoyment to create entertainment.

It's not just "a performance of some kind", it's "something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind".

Doing what you did, I could argue that Michael is a sea cucumber:

sea cu·cum·ber (plural sea cu·cum·bers)
noun: an invertebrate echinoderm that has a long tough muscular body and a mouth encircled by tentacles, and lives in the sea. Class Holothuroidea.

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-07-06, 02:35 PM   #95
Seadawg

And from the sounds of things a sea cucumber with a big debt to pay off....
Old 11-07-06, 02:43 PM   #96
FreeCells

Definition #2 is an either/or definition

"2. something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind: The highlight of the ball was an elaborate entertainment."

It states three different meanings in this definition alone namely pleasure, diversion, OR amusement in which Micheal's stunt was a diversion.

If a bank robber told his buddy to go entertain the security guard while he gets the cash, he wouldn't expect his buddy to act like a monkey, jump around, and make the security guard laugh. But if his buddy blew up the shop across the street or acted like he was having a mental breakdown, that would divert the attention of the security guard. The security guard wouldn't find any amusement out of either act yet he was entertained just enough for the bank robber to get the cash.

Last edited by FreeCells; 11-07-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 03:17 PM   #97
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Definition #2 is an either/or definition

"2. something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, esp. a performance of some kind: The highlight of the ball was an elaborate entertainment."

It states three different meanings in this definition alone namely pleasure, diversion, OR amusement in which Micheal's stunt was a diversion.

If a bank robber told his buddy to go entertain the security guard while he gets the cash, he wouldn't expect his buddy to act like a monkey, jump around, and make the security guard laugh. But if his buddy blew up the shop across the street or acted like he was having a mental breakdown, that would divert the attention of the security guard. The security guard wouldn't find any amusement out of either act yet he was entertained just enough for the bank robber to get the cash.
No. You're talking about a diversion as a distraction. Those definitions mean a diversion as "a recreation or pastime" (Oxford English Dictionary).

So exactly how is the guard entertained?

The only way your bank robber would tell his buddy to go entertain the guard, is if he's using the word "entertain" sarcastically, in which case he would really mean the exact opposite of entertain.

No one is arguing that Michael got people's attention, but anyone could do that with a particularly heinous fart.

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-07-06, 07:15 PM   #98
FreeCells

ok, it seems pointless for me to continue to hold up my position even though I could... some people have different opinions I guess, anyways, the point was to try to help end an arguement not to begin another one.

Entertainment of the mind can be nothing more than occupying another persons mind with an act or a performance.

Entertain and Occupy can be found together in the Thesaurus as synonyms

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/entertain

I am not trying to justify Michael's act as being amusing but rather it took up alot of coverage. Not only with the papers, tv, and radio stations here in Key West, but it also closed the rest of the shows for the evening and the tourists were drawn away with the commotion. Michael's act got their attention as well as the attention of many.

Entertainment isn't the right word to use if it was used in a sense of amusement. I don't believe it was amusing at all. But if it is used in a sense of occupying our minds away from the normal every day endeavors, I believe it is also called entertainment.

There are horror flicks and murder shows all over the tube. None of which I personally find amusing yet so many people find entertainment in them. All I'm saying is there are other definitions to the word "entertainment" that need to be recognized. Yet I don't know if there are people that find humor in Michael's act or not. I might be all the way out of place here. I'm only guessing that the person who said they thought it was entertaining meant the same as what I am trying to explain here. They could very well have meant that they were amused. In that case I would have nothing more to say.

Last edited by FreeCells; 11-07-06 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 08:04 PM   #99
Doctor Eric

Just to clarify, I haven't been around, I just read all 5 pages of this thread, and was thoroughly entertained.

The stunt was retarded. Jesus made some good points about how Michael could have done it in a way that was MORE entertaining, as well as how to do it without wasting the time of search and rescue teams, and screwing little kids' heads up. But for some, at least, it was still entertainment. It was also ridiculously irresponsible, and could have been done with a lot more showbiz flair.

It just seemed like y'all had been getting a little too heated in here, arguing points that don't really matter.

I'm still entertained enough to keep an eye on this one and see how it all pans out.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 08:05 PM   #100
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Yeah, I agree this isn't worth a drawn out argument.

I think the only point we really disagree on anyway is that, to me, there has to be an element of enjoyment for something to be entertaining.

Much as I am entertained by debating semantics.

Swami Yomahmi