performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 11-15-06, 11:01 PM   #1
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin
Default Community Show Question

I'm wondering. Have you all ever worked up a show together in these forums? Like a community show project sorta thing. People start throwing out ideas and brainstorming and then building and structuring till everyone has worked up a show together? I think it would be interesting. Would anyone be interested in something like that?

We could actually work up a number of them suited for each performer maybe. Like one for the variety people, one for the fire and sword people, ect.

Maybe some of us could try performing them and then we could all chat about it. Contrast and compare blah blah blah.

Anyone interested? I am but do not want to start it up if only a few participate. Even throwing in your two cents here and there would be wonderful.

Nothing is off limits. I want a big hot steaming pool of creative juicy juices. A little excitement.
Old 11-16-06, 12:25 AM   #2
Mr.Taxi Trix

Not bad, Jay.

I just spent a month in Mexico, working on movement, and foundational show writing. There were 3 students in our class, and at the end, we presented an hour-long show, with good characters, frequent laughs, about 32 words, and no skills. It was fun. Writing the show was fun, but process and director oriented. It might be very fun to create online.

The show in Mexico began with two guys entering, carrying a table with an egg on it.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 01:17 AM   #3
jayrodin

We've got Taxi now how bout the rest of you lily pinkle winkles?!
Old 11-16-06, 01:22 AM   #4
jayrodin

And yeah, a show which requires no specific talent that sounds outstanding. I think it'd be a good way to start out. Lets get a few more brains and then start throwing out ideas.
Old 11-16-06, 06:39 AM   #5
Seadawg

Jay, it has some interesting potential..

One problem is that the physical aspect of performance may never be fully appreciated in the development of an act in a cyber enviro.

Let me give you an example....

At a kids gig I did last week while they were ordering their food which was goiing to be delivered after my act, I asked... "Who was going to order some "Pygmy" Toes for the Pirate?"

The line ain't that funny... but combined with some facial expressions, absolute bedlam broke out...

Hope this helps clarify my thoughts...
Old 11-16-06, 10:04 AM   #6
jayrodin

I think most of us already understand that Seadawg.

Have you ever read a book? You see, the great thing about reading books instead of watching movies is you get to use your imagination a little. Believe it or not a thousand people could read the same book and not two of them will have experienced the same story. A book is frame work, the rest is your imagination, and so it is with this.

Thinking about it this way is much more appealing don't you think? And when it comes time to perform and then contrast and compare I believe it will be much more stimulating for all of us.

(And I did not mean for my metaphor to sound like an insult. I'm sure you have read many books and understood everything I'm talking about long before I came into this world. I hope this helps clarify my thoughts.)
Old 11-16-06, 10:35 AM   #7
Seadawg

Jay have you ever heard the parents prayer?

To be half a wonderful as my 4 year thinks I am and to be as half as stupid as my teenagers think I am.

And from your preivious posts, I can only surmise that I graduated from university before you were born, but then any old joker can graduate from the Royal Military college( like your west point) class of 83.

I really do not wish to engage in some counterproductive dick measuring contest because I am sure your wealth of life experinece in Kansas, pales the very few things I have seen and done.

I will try and refrain from pointing out what you assume to be obvious./ Perhaps the best way is for me to refrain from posting in threads where your pre-emmence will overshadow the rest of us mere mortals.

Gods speed and God bless.
Old 11-16-06, 10:49 AM   #8
Rachel Peters

Jayrodin... a large part of a round table discussion is being able to take criticism.
And although you said you didn't intend to insult or sound arrogant (in other posts), that really did.
I wouldn't want to participate in a discussion under that attitude. It's the college freshman attitude. After graduating from college, or perhaps teaching it, look back at the freshmen and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm not mad. I'm not trying to be mean.
I'm just stating the facts.

I'm not enjoying the attitude, Jord.
Advice from one youngish person to another, just take the notes with a "Thank you sir, may I have another" if you really want to learn and grow. As someone posted earlier (was it Peter?), many of these performers have been working longer than you've been alive. A lot of them are really smart too. k?

You're a fan of metaphors... Knowingly insulting someone and following it with, "don't be insulted" is much like punching a person in the head and saying, "don't be hurt". It doesn't work that way.
(That was more of an analogy, wasn't it.)
You've got to keep a tighter reign on what you say and how you say it, if you really don't want to be insulting people.

A Friend, Rachel.

www.rachelpeters.com

Last edited by Rachel Peters; 11-16-06 at 11:20 AM.
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 11:37 AM   #9
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Smile

Boy...
Dont make me come over there

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 11:49 AM   #10
Frisbee

here is an idea, not sure if it is god bad or even if it could work.

based on the original concept but able to work with whomever wants to part wherever they are in the world.

create a community show idea and then each person who wishes to participate in the show has to do there part via video.

The videos are then all strung together and edited into a piece of however long it would be and then presented to the public or performer world for fun...or if it is really good, for profit or as a fund raiser.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 11-16-06, 01:39 PM   #11
Hunter

Default I've got 2 cents says it could work

Frisbee;

I think that community video could work out and be fairly excellent with enough planning. There's a million interesting ways the videos could be linked together visually - and depending on who is interested the concept has fairly high potential for profit from a producing standpoint.

A tricky part would be finding the equipment / personnel to film it well and cheaply. If it did get together I could plan trips around the midwest, I've got a lot of my own equipment and a good deal of experience directing photography. Here's a reel that's a couple years old - it's poorly compressed but hey, codecs two years ago weren't all that great.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~tk262503/reel.mov

Anyhow, if people have any interest in a video project I would probably be interested in editing it together. Most of my experience is in post-production and I just killed off two grant projects that had been clogging my drives for months; so I've got some more free space / time.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 01:44 PM   #12
Rachel Peters

Great work, Hunter. What's the film?

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 11-16-06, 01:44 PM   #13
Rachel Peters

Great work, Hunter. What's the film?

www.rachelpeters.com
Old 11-16-06, 02:03 PM   #14
Hunter

Thanks - that's actually a couple films strung together; one is The Foster Portfolio , a Vonnegut adaptation that we just barely got rights to shoot. Another is called Accepted Annoyance, which is adapted from an aptly named short story called There is a Man in the Habit of Hitting Me in the Head with an Umbrella by Fernando Sorrentino.

The most interesting potential I see with this kind of project would be the opportunity to fit the talents of all different performers into different genres / styles of film and then blend them together. I started a show here at Ohio U that's mainly an experiment at blending genres. As an example; the last show I directed examined different kinds of 'love' through a romantic comedy / martial arts piece, a silent horror dance noir piece, and a musical fantasy piece set in a fast food restraunt. Each story was good in and of itself, but when contrasted with the other styles it became a lot more interesting.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~tk262503/phantas.mov

The audio isn't done with that teaser, but that's the idea. Imagine a slew of different performing styles, all complemented by a certain style of photography, woven together in one big hold hands across the planet video. I think it could be pretty sweet.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 03:35 PM   #15
jayrodin

That film thing sounds like an excellent idea. I'm in.

Seadawg. I told you I was not insulting you. It was a metaphor. I was countering what you said to me and explaining my point. I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was being an arrogant prick so I said the whole thing about you understanding it before I was even born. You are older than me. You graduated from Royal Military school. Does that inable you from having a rational discussion with a 19 year old kid who taught himself school at home from the time he was in 7th grade till he graduated at 18 and is not planning on going to college?

And Rachel you do not need to participate if you don't want to. Do you street perform? Just curious, not trying to be an ass. Yay, now I get to say not trying to be an ass not trying to insult you after every god damned thing I say and people still think I'm trying to be a dick. I have a suggestion because I'm at a loss. I just can't find any way around it. I'm completely candid, and for real, and not trying to be abrasive, and intentionally telling people I'm not being an ass. For God sakes. And as for the "thank you yes sir thing" I went out of my way to say "I'm sure you have read many books and understood everything I'm talking about long before I came into this world". I countered his criticism in a completely logical way. I believe that is a huge, probably the hugest part of a round table/open forum discussion. Oh yeah, suggestion. Don't read my posts anymore. If you don't like them. Don't read them.

As for any discussion about my being an ass or cocky or what ever- I'm starting a new thread for that in the blah blah blah section. I think this thread is important and would like to see it go somewhere so no more disscussion about my "attitudes" or any relating subjects. Thank you.
Old 11-16-06, 03:59 PM   #16
Seadawg

Your age doesn't preclude you from anything but the seniors club. And I am willing to debate anything on an intellectual level. AD Hominem and Tu Quoque attacks serve no purpose.

Yours aye...
Old 11-16-06, 04:09 PM   #17
jayrodin

Woooonduful!

And I have no clue what this means.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seadawg
AD Hominem and Tu Quoque attacks serve no purpose.

Yours aye...
Could you please clarify it in the appropriate thread listed at the bottom of this post in my "signature".

**EDIT*****
Never mind, I get it now... and I... concur.

Last edited by jayrodin; 11-16-06 at 04:11 PM.
jayrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 04:18 PM   #18
jayrodin

Hunter/Frisbee/whoever,

What premise do you think we should start out with? I think it would be good to do something everyone can perform so I find the idea Taxi presented at the beginning about the show which requires no real talent to be promising. Maybe we could do that and then have a bit where a performer throws in his/her specific talent? What are your thoughts?
Old 11-16-06, 08:08 PM   #19
Mr.Taxi Trix

Quote:
Originally posted by jayrodin
Rachel... Do you street perform? J

Hey!

Rachel has a brilliant show, and has done HUGE circles through Canada. I mean, she would, if she did, which is the same. Massive crowds. How can we write a community show without the community?
I'll say this for her, her heart is in the right place, and she is a solid contributer here. No dissing Rachel, dammit.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 09:15 PM   #20
Seadawg

AD Hominem and Tu Quoque attacks serve no purpose.

Yours aye...

These are types of logical fallacies. A little internet searching will go along way to furthring your informal education.