performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-29-01, 01:27 PM   #1
seanbridgesbikeboy

Post crowd gathering

I can stand on the seat and handlebars of a bicycle and juggle a chainsaw that pulls a pretty thick edge.Warm up tricks are definetly a must.sean bridges bike boy x x x
Old 05-29-01, 01:31 PM   #2
seanbridgesbikeboy

I didnt mean to start a new topic i was just answering another sorry.Does anyone else have any good crowd gathering techniques dudes sean bridges bike boy ps this green room is great.Im have a great time here.Should have joined years ago but am always very busy.Whats the crazyiest thing anyone has ever seen.
Old 05-29-01, 06:44 PM   #3
gazzo osborne

Robert nelson's real teeth
Old 05-29-01, 07:08 PM   #4
gazzo osborne

Robert Nelson's real teeth
Old 05-31-01, 01:25 PM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Bunny

"Hano nukatayona" ...

literal meaning is "one tooth missing"

it usually refers to that uncomfortable feeling you get when things are not complete ...

... smile Gazzo, nobody's watching!

Old 06-16-01, 10:44 AM   #6
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

I can remember trying very hard to use any trick I could think of to get a crowd and not having very much success when I then saw some of the fastest most effective crowd gathering I've ever seen. It was Andrew Elliot pulling his (real ) snake out of a basket.

www.rexboyd.co.uk
Rex Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-01, 07:42 PM   #7
Rich Potter

Butterfly

Don't you believe that you need to do tricks to gather an edge. I come from the school that you should do NO tricks until you have an edge.

Since I have a background of clowning, I just basically let my edge accumulate as I set out my props; I do so with personality and energy (and in the last year or so, music over a PA). And I have handful of quick gags or gag props that I throw in here and there. When you get the first 2 people stopped, and you feel good about them, work on them. Be friendly. They are now part of your world. Talk about the weather. Talk about your morning. Talk about where theyr'e coming from. Ask what their favorite colors are. Show them your tushie.

When more people stop, include them too, but the first two will know that they got in on the ground floor. If only 2 people are stopped, and you're having problems stopping more people, that becomes your rapport with those 2 people. Somehow, magically, when you establish a rapport with 2 strangers, more people will want in on it.

The hardest thing to do is have a small crowd and to keep them to gather more without all-out performing. Be yourself, but choose to be the more outgoing part of yourself. Relax. These people stopped because they like you.

Oh, and how do you get those first 2 people to stop? Pick the right spot at the right time. Set down your bag. Look like a performer and relax. Say confidently and loudly, like you've done it thousands of time, "Roll up for the [something something] show!" If that doesn't work, wait 10 seconds and try it with the next passers-by. If that doesn't work after 5 or 10 minutes, try another line. Try another spot. Try another day. Try different types of people. Try facing away from the sun. Try facing the direction people are coming from. Try giggling uncontrollably. Try having a heart attack. Try wetting your pants. Try having a nervous breakdown. If you go with the wacky, and possibly shocking, be sure to look up to your concerned passers-by and say, "hey, do you know how hard it is to get a crowd for my juggling show?"

One thing to be aware of is in my experience, it's rarely the person I approach directly who stops to watch my show. But usually when I approach one stranger and try to get them to stop, I'll get a handful of people stopping to see what I'll do to that person. Take chances. Just dont' get beaten up. (be quick on the tongue, but quicker with your feet)

--Rich

Rich Potter is offline   Reply With Quote