performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 05-04-07, 04:39 PM   #1
aerialhoopgrrl

Default Critique my aerial promo

I'm a bit scared, but here goes...lemme have it:

montage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4LTqbin44

full act:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUigkgrMBOU

Thanks,
Shayna
aerialhoopgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 07:20 PM   #2
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Hey Shayna-

I only had to time to give the video one look-through, but two things jumped out at me immediately: the music and the video quality.

The music just doesn't fit with the grace and pacing of your act, particularly during the sepia-toned section. It needs something more melodic and strong, and/or more old timey for the sepia'd part.

I assume the video quality is poor due to processing it for YouTube. I wouldn't send any people in a hiring position to the YouTube page, and of course, make sure anything you send out is very high quality.

It looks like you have some really nice aerial skills, tho.

Take a look at Serenity's video, under the "related" tab; the video is very crisp and clear.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 01:27 PM   #3
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

I agree, but in a different way.

Music
goes in no particular direction. if you're an "arial rockstar" you should have rock music. Stay away from popular music and try to make your own impression. use the tune to set the mood.

Video
the quallity is crap. the worst part of this is the accolade subtitles.

I would recompress the whole thing in a better way.

Make cuts on the beats in the music.

Use fewer venues or group similar venues together to show that you can do a complete routine. or just lengthen your clips

colorize your clips. The sepiatone works well, but brown is boring. the reason it works well is your camera footage is so blown out and the coloring of your surroundings clash. If you colorize all your clips to bright colors (like ipod kinda) you'll be able to choose your pallete and the whole project will stick together.

the first thing you should think of is the people hiring you. What do they want? Then, think about who you are. NOT the other way around. And when you think about what they want, don't just think about the things that you can provide. Think about everything they want from a performer.
Old 05-05-07, 01:30 PM   #4
scot

Scot

here are colors. if you colorize your video, stick to one palette. Don't try to make up your own because adobe knows better.
http://kuler.adobe.com/
Old 05-05-07, 01:31 PM   #5
Spike McGuire

Send a message via AIM to Spike McGuire

Shayna,

I am with Stephon on the music. It is a great song, and you have a great act, they just don't work great together.

One thing you might want to consider is more audience reaction in the audio.

Another thing you may want to do...see what you think of your video with "When the music's over" by The Doors as the song. I watched your video a second and third time with that as the music playing, and if you start them both at just about the same time, there are a LOT of places that it really fits together cool. Trust me, just try it once.

-----Spike
Old 05-06-07, 10:40 AM   #6
aerialhoopgrrl

Cool feedback. Thanks. The quality is crap because it's on youtube. I don't know what to do about that.

On my actual DVD, and on my lame youtube channel, there are about 5 full acts for agents to see. I'm never sure the best way to work all that. The main page of the DVD has options to go to my trapeze act (which is my feature act), aerial montage (which shows other things I can do), photo slideshow (same), and "additional acts". "additional acts" takes you to a new menu where you can see my acts on silks, rope, single-point trapeze and hoop.

I'm quite sure no agent will ever sit through and watch all that...

-Shayna
Old 05-06-07, 01:00 PM   #7
scot

The compression (badness) of the visuals is not because of youtube. It's because your video is being compressed first by the editor, maybe again for your dvd, then again by youtube.

You should have your whole act on dvd and on the web, but not on youtube. It should be somewhere you can tell agents about but that is not public.

Your promo video should be short and can be on youtube. The whole thing should be directed toward selling you. You need to convince a buyer to at the least look further into who you are. At best to offer you money on the spot.

video of a live show always makes you look worse than who you are.
Old 05-08-07, 01:06 AM   #8
aerialhoopgrrl

Is it just a "you tube is lame" stigma, or are there better places? And if so, could you...uh...tell me?

Cuz I know it's lame. And I could make my videos private, but then I don't get the lame affirmations of people telling me I'm great. And I need that.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-07, 02:27 AM   #9
scot

google is better, but for you, I don't think it will make a difference. If you worked more, you'd have real people telling you you're great.
Old 05-09-07, 12:03 AM   #10
Isabella

My video is on YouTube, clients watch it all the time and don't think it's lame or have a problem with it. Or maybe I just don't hear from the ones who do. But I haven't noticed a drop off in good gigs since putting it up there.

I don't know what Scot's experience with agents is, but mine is this: Lots of agents contact me, get all enthusiastic, and ask for "agent-friendly" video (no contact info) which I send them on DVD. Then I never hear from them again, or I get one gig a year. It's not that I suck, because I work all the fucking time, and clients book me based on the exact same video.

I've seen your promo video before, and I agree that it's long - maybe have two separate videos, one that's two minutes, tops, of clips of the most exciting bits only, and then one that's acts? Even then, the acts are more to show off and have other aerialists raid YouTube to copy your moves. Clients generally book based on clips. I have one out of six or seven request video of a whole show, and then I mail it to them on DVD.

I've seen you in person, and the fire, passion and drive that characterizes your work doesn't come across in the video you have, which appears languid and is a bit grainy. It may or may not be worth it right now, but eventually you may want to do a purpose-driven shoot (not just video at a gig) that captures your acts from different angles on high-quality video and which you can cut clips in between the "look I've worked in front of an audience" stuff.

That said, you look like a competant aerialist who can do a gig, so it's a great start
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:35 PM   #11
aerialhoopgrrl

Thanks for the straight talk!

My trapeze act is filmed fancy, and I LOVE it--but then I've had clients request "a straight shot with no cuts, preferably live". Can't please everyone.

I just took a look at other aerial montages on youtube and MOST (really almost all) of them are grainy and hard to see. But when I pop mine in the DVD player it looks great.

I guess maybe the internet wont save us all. So much for saving on DVD dups.
Old 05-09-07, 06:47 PM   #12
Isabella

Default For Shayna

PS - I may be looking for someone who can work this fall, weekends on the East Coast and in Ontario, housing, travel, low-to-decent pay plus tips and merch percentage. We provide costumes and rig. Possible commuting plus 10-15 days away at a time, though the work itself is only on the weekends. I don't think it's enough money for you personally to leave Chicago, but if you know anyone...

-Aerialist with one or two single-point apparatus plus at least one ground skill or willing to learn partner acro (base or flyer).
-Presentational style (not aerial dance style)
-Able to talk, improv and interact
-Strongly prefer female
-If a smoker, willing to smoke outside

As mentioned, the pay is not fabulous. The benefit is quite a bit of work, plus if they are interested in building their own full show beyond single acts, this is a great way to get to perform 3-4 times a day and try new stuff.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 10:50 PM   #13
aerialhoopgrrl

I'd love to hear more about specific dates and stuff. If I have nothing else going on and my damn school seems to be in order I woldn't mind giving it a go. I've been aching to get out and just have some fun lately.

I thing you have my personal email address, so send me the details.

-Shayna