performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 06-16-07, 10:12 AM   #1
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin
Default Acting

I'm looking for instruction on acting. Any recommendations? Books? courses? videos?
Old 06-16-07, 10:33 AM   #2
Hunter

What sort of acting are you looking to do?

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 01:42 PM   #3
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

I'm going out to LA soon to try an do Tv, commercial, movies, and print. So anything related to that.

More immediately- The show I just wrote I do this line where I accidentally say "breast" instead of "breath". I'm having trouble "acting" like I didn't mean to say breast... The joke is great even with my bad acting skills but I'd like to really look like I effed up so the crowd can laugh at me and hopefully be more at ease.

I'm great at doing characters that are outrageous, quirky, weird- sort of shallow except when it comes to having a lot of energy, excitement, sarcasm, and outrageous passion. I'm having trouble with acting out deep/semi deep feelings like embarrassment, love, etc. Those feelings that in real life make you feel vulnerable. Basically, when I try to do this sorta thing I kinda feel like I'm telling a big lie to the audience, not that I feel bad about it or something ridiculous like that, but I'm afraid they will notice- and that makes me uneasy which makes it worse.

Tips are welcome also. Thanks.
Old 06-16-07, 02:36 PM   #4
Hunter

Given that, I'd reccomend you get your hands on a Sanford Meisner Technique Workbook.

Meisner's methods tend to start simple and build on one another; working on improvisation, then accessing an emotional life, then adding improvisation and spontinaety to a script, or in your case your planned bits.

The main restriction of working in this method is that you need at least 2, preferably 3 people to be able to do the exercises properly. One to act, one to react, and one to observe and comment.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote