performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 06-29-07, 06:39 AM   #1
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default The South Street Seaport, NYC 2008 Festival

To Whom it May Concern:

I've been a street performer in NYC for 18 years. In 2005 I was one of the South Street Seaport Street Performer Buskers Fare organizers.

Having a little block getting this one off to a start.

Here'e the latest Management reply:

"Thank you Josh! Our long standing summer program is at heart its own festival already. We would love to hear your suggestions to make it better. We even have a staffer flying to Edmonton to examine how the Canadians do it.
Lincoln Palsgrove IV"

Any suggestions?

Sincerely, Josh Weiner, NYC Street Performer
jugglerjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 06:28 PM   #2
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

Hey Josh maybe I can help? Me and my group tour all the major busker festivals in Canada were actually at one now.
I'm from New York and also work at the seaport I'v worked there for many years of and on.

Give me a call if your interested,
Julio "Klown" Santiago
www.usabreakdancers.com
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 10:08 AM   #3
Pokie-Poke

Hay Josh its me Frank, (in front of the zoo back in the day) I'm in philly. now but if there is any thing I can do drop me a line. I'm working with several acts now. If you need them, as a busking fest without buskers is kinda boring.
Old 08-09-07, 03:05 PM   #4
DrBrionics

Default Festival Colaboration

This is Brian from the Office of Cultural Affairs in New Haven. I just wrapped up a small street performer "series" up here in the Elm City and we would like to build a culture of busking in New Haven.

We are currently hoping to plan a festival for next summer. I would like to coordinate the timing of upcoming festivals with Josh Weiner from NYC and possibly someone from Providence or other city w/in the region (I'm working on finding someone currently), in order to have three consecutive weekends of festivals in the area.

Julio from USA Breakdancers suggested that this would be a good way to make these events more accessable and appealing to touring performers.

Thoughts....?
DrBrionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 04:51 PM   #5
Doctor Eric

You should start a separate thread about your festival.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 01:23 PM   #6
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default What Festival in NYC?

Dear Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies and support.
As of this writing, there is no festival for the busking program at the South Street Seaport.

I'll call the Dept. of Cultural Affairs in NYC but will need some support on setting up the 501-c3 in order to work with their offices, as they told me last time.

Julio was in town with the other artists from USA Breakdancers, and mentioned that other cities are much easier to work with than the South Street Seaport. I'll keep working, but even as a performer for 16 years on the seaport streets and docks, it has not been a hug or a handshake from their offices. The GGP maintenance just got a union wage increase, yet we are not recognized with the same status, nor have we any parking or salary benefits, health plans, retirement programs, stock options.

Some stores will honor discounts, however, since the 2005 Busker's Fare.

Any additional support would be appreciated. A petition looks inevitable, coming soon.

Sincerely, Josh Weiner
Old 08-24-07, 09:24 AM   #7
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default Petition for 2008 Festival (please sign to be sent to offices)

To The South Street Seaport Management Office
19 Fulton Street
2nd Floor
New York New York 10038

The South Street Seaport Performance Artists hosted a weekend festival from June 15th through 18th, 2005. The festival was affiliated with LOMA (Lower Manhattan Marketing Association), and was included as part of an event series throughout lower Manhattan.

We are writing this letter to establish this successful event as an annual festival to celebrate the South Street Seaport Street Performer program.

"A street performer, or busker, is one who presents an act for tips on the city streets. It has been a part of street life in New York, including the downtown area, since colonial times. The street performer program has entertained and delighted the estimated 10,000,000 annual visitors of the Seaport for over 20 years. Our festival will include over 35 acts from the South Street Performer roster, successful artists that have participated in the program, and invited performers."

Many well known variety acts began their career as street performers, which is one of the hallmarks of a free society. For these great performers, it was a place to develop their act, and quite a few were not very good when they started. For some it has been a place to develop and hone their craft, and for others it is a way of life by choice. We hope that the Seaport continues to foster the supportive atmosphere which allows performers to grow.

This festival proposal will provide a structured and organized weekend event coordinated with the Standard street performer locations. A concentrated information area on the Pier Apron and Festival Stage also highlights the work and promote the artists with information and announcements, in collaboration with patrons and sponsors of the event.

There are many annual festivals on General Growth Properties with similar programs.

We hope to work with the management offices to make this festival, modeled after the June 2005 Street Performance Festival, an annual celebration of these South Street Seaport, New York City artists.

Signed,

(please post to this thread as artist or support of this proposal. thanks. - Josh)
The South Street Seaport NYC 1992-2008
MUNY 2005-present

Columbia University TC, Mathematics M.A. 2012
CCNY Mathematics B.A. 2007
CCNY Jewish Studies B.A. 2007

Just say no to drugs
Old 08-26-07, 11:49 AM   #8
Pokie-Poke

Did they stop busking at So. st. altogether? or are you going bigger?
Old 09-02-07, 11:18 AM   #9
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default Petition for 2008 Festival (please sign to be sent to offices)

No, the South Street Seaport Street Performer Program still exists. See this link for how the program continued after 9/11.

http://www.communityartsadvocates.or...eetseaport.htm

Please show your support for a planned festival in 2008: (add your signature)

19 Fulton Street
2nd Floor
New York New York 10038

The South Street Seaport Performance Artists hosted a weekend festival from June 15th through 18th, 2005. The festival was affiliated with LOMA (Lower Manhattan Marketing Association), and was included as part of an event series throughout lower Manhattan.

We are writing this letter to establish this successful event as an annual festival to celebrate the South Street Seaport Street Performer program.

"A street performer, or busker, is one who presents an act for tips on the city streets. It has been a part of street life in New York, including the downtown area, since colonial times. The street performer program has entertained and delighted the estimated 10,000,000 annual visitors of the Seaport for over 20 years. Our festival will include over 35 acts from the South Street Performer roster, successful artists that have participated in the program, and invited performers."

Many well known variety acts began their career as street performers, which is one of the hallmarks of a free society. For these great performers, it was a place to develop their act, and quite a few were not very good when they started. For some it has been a place to develop and hone their craft, and for others it is a way of life by choice. We hope that the Seaport continues to foster the supportive atmosphere which allows performers to grow.

This festival proposal will provide a structured and organized weekend event coordinated with the Standard street performer locations. A concentrated information area on the Pier Apron and Festival Stage also highlights the work and promote the artists with information and announcements, in collaboration with patrons and sponsors of the event.

There are many annual festivals on General Growth Properties with similar programs.

We hope to work with the management offices to make this festival, modeled after the June 2005 Street Performance Festival, an annual celebration of these South Street Seaport, New York City artists.

Signed,
Josh Weiner, Buskers Hall of Fame, Seaport 2005
Yogi Lazer, South Street Seaport Performer
Bethany Wild, Buskers Hall of Fame 2006
Nancy Lyon, Artist, Buskers Hall of Fame 2005
Magic Brian, Buskers Hall of Fame 2006
Julio "Klown" Santiago, Performer
USA Breakdancers, Performers
Frank Douglas, Performer, United States
Margot, Garite the Mime, South Street Seaport Performer
Brian Harger, Balloonscapes, South Street Seaport Performer
Alan Eisenstein, South Street Seaport Performer
Nicholas Flair, Performer
Jerry Bregman, Attorney
Dallas the Fire Guy, Performer
Anne Timmins, Artist, Pan Asian Repertory Theater
Carol Miyamoto, Retired Teacher
Irina Filatova, face-painter
Jeff Mosche, Busker
Jennifer Dinoia, Director, Performer
Derrick Summers, Worker, Parent

(please post to this thread as artist or support of this proposal. thanks. - Josh)
MUNY 2005-present

Just say no to drugs

Last edited by jugglerjosh; 09-23-07 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 10:30 PM   #10
Pokie-Poke

Frank Douglas
pokie-poke.com
I'm in! just posting the full name.
Old 09-04-07, 09:03 PM   #11
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default me too!!

www.dallasthefireguy.com

Julio can get ahold of me!!!
Old 09-25-07, 11:57 PM   #12
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default Petition as of 11/10/07 for 2008 Festival (please sign)

Please show your support for a planned festival in 2008:
(add your signature with POST REPLY: "I support")

19 Fulton Street
2nd Floor
New York New York 10038

Signed,
Margot, Pearl the Mime, South Street Seaport Performer
Jerry Bregman, Attorney
Carol Miyamoto, Harpist, Music Teacher
Jeff Mosche, Busker
Cindy Marvell, IJA Champion 1989, Lazer Vaudeville
Goro Tamai, GM Worker, MIT Grad
Dan Rosenthal, HCCS Experts in Healthcare
Jeff Zimmerman, SWFS Emergency Food Program
Brian Dube, Dube Juggling Equipment
Jack Hershowitz, MD
David Rosenberg, Friend
Ted Kilmer, LOMA Organizer, 2005 South Street Seaport Festival
Stephen Baird, Community Arts Advocates, Boston, MA
Megaflash, Seaport Performer
Hal Weiner, Licensed Tour Guide, New York
Maggie, CCNY History Club President

MUNY 2005-present

Just say no to drugs

Last edited by jugglerjosh; 11-11-07 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 04:40 AM   #13
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default Seaport Management Receives Petition 11/12 Veterans Day

Dear Supporters,

Thanks for your help with this festival proposal. I handed in the festival petition as it currently signed on Veterans Day, November 12th, 2007.

I hope the festival will become a reality, and will continue working with calls and requests for assistance and organizational support. The 23rd annual Seaport "tree lighting" and Chorus Tree Concerts is the Friday after Thanksgiving, November 23rd, 2007. Performers include The Big Apple Chorus, American Girl Theater Company, and USO Troupe.

Please continue to sign, and calls or letters of support are also welcome.

Sincerely, Your Seaport Festival Organizer, Josh Weiner
MUNY 2005-present

Just say no to drugs
Old 11-18-07, 10:04 AM   #14
BuskerFan

I'd like to add my name to the online petition too!

I support.

Steven Maginnis, supporter and street performer fan

Thank you.

Last edited by BuskerFan; 11-18-07 at 02:59 PM.
BuskerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 11:55 AM   #15
Frisbee

I add my name in support too, but it seems like this has already been sent in for decision. if not, please add my name.

-Greg Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 11-26-07, 04:17 PM   #16
heather@heliummm

Canada

As a Canadian busker/performer now living in NYC, I add my support too!
www.heliummm.com
heather@heliummm.com
heather@heliummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 05:43 AM   #17
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default Petition as of 02/11/2008

Petition as of 11/30/07 for 2008 Festival (please sign)

Please show your support for a planned festival in 2008:
(add your signature with POST REPLY: "I support")

19 Fulton Street
2nd Floor
New York New York 10038

Signed,
Margot, Pearl the Mime, South Street Seaport Performer
Jerry Bregman, Attorney
Carol Miyamoto, Harpist, Music Teacher
Jeff Mosche, Busker
Cindy Marvell, IJA Champion 1989, Lazer Vaudeville
Goro Tamai, GM Worker, MIT Grad
Dan Rosenthal, HCCS Experts in Healthcare
Jeff Zimmerman, SWFS Emergency Food Program
Brian Dube, Dube Juggling Equipment
Jack Hershowitz, MD
David Rosenberg, Friend
Ted Kilmer, LOMA Organizer, 2005 South Street Seaport Festival
Stephen Baird, Community Arts Advocates, Boston, MA
Megaflash, Seaport Performer
Hal Weiner, Licensed Tour Guide, New York
Maggie, CCNY History Club President
Meriel Cabral, NYC, Seaport Visitor
Guillermo Cabral, NYC, Seaport Visitor
Patrick O'Connor, Homeless Veteran, Seaport
Nancy Grambanco, Seaport Visitor
Albert Johnston, Hot Dog Vendor, Seaport
Heather Hammond, Helium Productions, Canadian Busker
Greg Frisbee, Performer
Steve Maginnis, Support and Street Performer Fan
Julie Nicholasi, South Street Seaport Marketing, 2005 Organizer
Shelly Switzer, Edmonton International Street Performer Festival
Jacob D'Eustachio, High School Student, Aspiring Juggler
Christina and Seth, Acrobuffs
Positive Brothers, Breakdancers

MUNY 2005-present

Just say no to drugs

Last edited by jugglerjosh; 05-27-08 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 04:58 PM   #18
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default 12.12.07 South Street Festival 2008 NYC W.I.P.

Dear Supporters,

Well, still working on this one. I sent in the proposal on Veteran's Day, but have not gotten a reply. The South Street Seaport is working with their Chorus Tree and Santa, during this shopping season. I will continue to advocate for a festival for next year.

A good E-mail of genuine support came from Julie Nicholasi, Seaport Marketing Manager, who helped plan the 2005 festival, and coordinated meetings and business with LOMA once it was given the green light, has written a support to the managers who can make the festival a reality.

Thanks to her, and all supporters as we continue this effort.

Peaceful days, safe travels, happy holidays.

Sincerely, Josh Weiner, NYC
MUNY 2005-present

Just say no to drugs

Last edited by jugglerjosh; 05-27-08 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 10:27 AM   #19
heather@heliummm

Smile

Great work, Josh!
Here is a copy of a letter that I am mailing today.
Heather

New York New York 10038

Re: Support for South Street Seaport Busker Festival

Dear Julie,

I am an aerialist and Canadian busker who has recently re-located to New York City.

I would be delighted to support a South Street Seaport Busker Festival, both as a performer and volunteer.

I have performed at many Canadian festivals (Montreal Just for Laughs, Waterloo Busker Carnival, Newfoundland Busker Carnival, Toronto International Circus Festival, Halifax International Busker Carnival) and can assure that these events generate considerable interest, community and revenue for a city. New York is a world class city, and itís character would be further enhanced by a fun, safe and culture-building event. Your location is superb and a busker festival would attract an incredible crowd to your area.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Heather Hammond
Artistic Director

Helium Aerial Dance
www.heliummm.com
heather@heliummm.com
Cell: 917.280.2611
Office: 212.473.4981
www.heliummm.com
heather@heliummm.com
heather@heliummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 02:59 PM   #20