performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > CONTACT PEOPLE / ANNOUNCEMENTS / HOUSING > ANNOUNCEMENTS

Old 08-04-07, 12:45 AM   #1
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Lightbulb Head Acres?

As many of you know Graham and all the Belly Acres folks own about 9 acres down in Seaview where they are actively constructing a performing arts center called S.P.A.C.E ... it's been going on since 1985 and has had heaps of problems with power struggles etc but it looks like most of that is in the past and they have an amazing community based circus teaching local kids da kine performing skills ... it is just a great thing

well...

My wife and I found a cleared 10.62 acre parcel that has an ocean view down in the beautiful Opihikao area (unlike Graham it's not on the rift zone) ... well, it's selling very cheap compared to other land sales because (get this) the Hare Krishna’s rent the 10 acre parcel next to them (a shared State Road separates the properties) ... what is even cooler is the fact that the back of the property is state land and will never be developed AND since a State Road borders your property you can build up to 10 houses on it ...

so I was thinking...

if I buy it ... is anybody out there interested in purchasing one of the other 9 acres?

the price would be about 15 grand ... I cannot guarantee an ocean view on every piece unless your house is tall enough to see over the forest reserve trees.

Unlike Graham I would/could not interfere with your reselling of your parcel ... it would be yours free and clear... although we have to make sure the county planning department would allow the subdivision... to sell your house here you would have to build it to code and get it permitted ...remember the permits are not cheap ...and you pay taxes based on how much you sell your piece for ... I'm pretty sure almost all the structures on Graham's property were not permitted (especially all the "jungelos")

whaddya think?

Kumi sez it's a good deal but she is hesitant about the Krishna's ...I told her we'd just have a huge Bar-B-Que and invite locals to roast their pigs at our nightly ocean view luau.

There are no other neighbors, so if those guys need to wake up early and chant ... well, let's hope the smell of roast pig and screamingly drunk street performers and locals bad boys don't disturb their slumber.

I know this will never work out ... but it could it really could ... the hardest part would be to convince my wife it's in her best interest ... fat chance really ... aww forget it

would anybody like to do it ... really?
Old 08-04-07, 01:48 PM   #2
dave walbridge

Default pork rinds...

Sounds interesting...Is there already water & power in the area....?

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 03:59 PM   #3
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Default off grid

Quote:
Is there already water & power in the area..
no... there is no electricity ... there is no county water

Listen, I think this property is a good buy for somebody who can come up with some cash ... this guy wants out ... and he hasen't been able to sell for over a year ... he's asking 199K (and a comparable mkt analysis he's taking a significant loss at that point) but kumi sez he'll take 150K (how she knows that I got no idea) ... that makes this a steal at 15K/acre ocean view ... I dunno ... it ain't for me but somebody who sips MiaTais on the lanai it is ... I don't even know anybody that high class unless you include Bella and Haggis and only if Bella isn't passed out.

just so you know ... we are going to bail on it ... hell, I can't even fix a faucet let alone build a house ... you'd have to put in a cesspool blah blah blah ... screw it.

besides, for 150K you can buy alot of weed.
Old 08-05-07, 01:28 AM   #4
Mr.Taxi Trix

Sounds more than a little interesting, Bugsy.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 02:25 AM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool Can't you just see Hilby doin' Pipeline?

If it's still on the market in a coupla months I'll show it to Celia & Martin ... maybe we can just divy it up 3 or 4 ways ... wouldn't that be cool ... we could have big ass parties with really fun people while everybody freezes their collective asses off.

I really should get it ... just to let all the indigent street acts that never made anything of themselves (like Rob Torres) have a place to call home.

What is really funny is that the Krishna's have an amazing orchard and garden right there ... all you have to do is wait for darkness ...

"Hare Rama ... Rama Rama ..did you hear that?"

P.S. I'm thinking of cutting up my wig into little circles and crazy glueing them to my skull just to fit in. That place is beautiful!
Old 08-05-07, 03:45 AM   #6
Peter Voice

If I thought I could get a visa, I'd be very interested.
Old 08-05-07, 12:24 PM   #7
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Thumbs Up One the edge of civilization

Here's the deal with the Big Island ... pure and simple, this place is (by American standards) outlaw country. More like the land of the recently freed. People here couldn't give a rat's ass about America and it's laws. They don't consider themselves part of the system; in fact they have had political and economic safeguards in place for decades to keep hoele out.

Graham has been here for quite awhile and is very visible. Although he owns nothing on paper he is definitely a Shogun. He doesn't come and go like he used to (it was easier then) but I really don't think he minds much.

Nobody (unless they are stupid or have money to burn) builds permitted structures here. In our house hunting efforts we are actually surprised when we find permitted structures on the property.

Also, my friend Johnny comes and goes on a cruise ship every time his visa times out ... apparently international waters are a stones throw away. He has built his home just outside of the Belly Acres compound ... he is a Brit and doesn't look worried.

You can get away with stuff here that other parts of Americana can't. E.g. the government can’t take your property from you here because the state of hawaii never gave the US government authority over it ... the dept. of the interior holds land patent rights on ALL it's territories EXCEPT hawaii ... weird but even though I own my house I will never be able to obtain title ... I can sell it ... do whatever I want (like real land owners) but I will never hold title to it ... King Kamehameha III saw to that.

P.S. "Green Harvest" is over now too ... the state of Hawaii just refused a huge amount of money from the US government to fight marijuana growing ... wow, that’s cool.
Old 08-05-07, 12:44 PM   #8
Lee Nelson

Default hmmmm

I think there is more interest here than maybe you imagined.
K15000 is a steal for a piece of heaven. I am very interested, Ive always been kinda jealous of those BellyAcres hippies...
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 02:28 PM   #9
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Club S.P.A.C.E eeeeeeeeeeee

Don’t be too jealous of those hippies …they work their asses off down there. That place was jungle when I saw it in ’85 and now is a landscaped paradise with a fully functional sustainable environment that contributes to the community in many ways. Not too many jugglers down there anymore though … it still gets a few to show on Fridays but other than that well, it’s always changing down there. Lots of people (in their 20’s) come from all over the world to work there (I don’t know how Graham does it) for about 6 weeks at a time … sometimes the girls are hot and all the island boys go crazy (there are not enough girls around here). There is some really wonderful people living in those houses the jugglers built but just because you live in a juggler’s house doesn’t mean you’re a juggler… that’s true for me anyway.
Old 08-05-07, 03:36 PM   #10
Mr.Taxi Trix

Jumponit!
Old 08-05-07, 05:36 PM   #11
Peter Voice

What are building costs like? What could you get for, say, $250,000? And how long might it take?
Old 08-05-07, 06:33 PM   #12
Lynneski

Cripes, Mothra, I'd love to come help you shave the mould off every day. Just let me shake the anchors that live in this house with me...
Old 08-05-07, 09:54 PM   #13
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Piggy You asking meeee?

Quote:
What are building costs like? What could you get for, say, $250,000? And how long might it take?
OK... here's the deal we found ... there are places here that you can go to that will build you a 3+2 surround lanai home (looks Island like but nothing fancy)... they do the cesspool everything ... even grade the driveway ... Everything is built to code and is already permitted ... price is close to 200K American (what's that like 6 billion Australia dollars?) ... the one we spoke to said he will start right away after he sits down with you and customizes to your specifications.

If you want to do it waaay cheaper ...then
a) go to Portland and buy the lumber
b) ship it over here on Matson with a whole bunch of other shit like guns and tools and sneak a beater truck back there so you have wheels for awhile.
c) put the Matson container on your land and work out of it always locking up tight or sleeping with all your shit in sight.
d)hire a local out of work contractor who will get local kids to do grunt work for $10/hr.
e) even better, do like Renegade Tom who built his house with workers from the mainland by giving them only 2 weeks free stay at the house once it was finished. Smart bastard that one.

By the way ... it will NOT be easy to get a permit ..it is quite a hassle ... I personally don't need to aggravate myself so they can charge me more money in taxes.... it helps when you sell though.
Old 08-06-07, 02:03 AM   #14
Peter Voice

So, I'd have to sell a painting or Tasmania or sumfink.

What's health ins. cost per annum, roughly, in the developed world?

And any idea of legal costs on dividing the land etc?

And, most importantly, what's the snorkling like?
Old 08-06-07, 03:49 AM   #15
Mr.Taxi Trix

Count me and Terri in, if you plow ahead.
Old 08-06-07, 12:03 PM   #16
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Default You don't REALLY expect this to happen do you?

Quote:
What's health ins. cost per annum, roughly, in the developed world?

And any idea of legal costs on dividing the land etc?

And, most importantly, what's the snorkling like?
Health Insurance in the US is approximately 6 boxes of chalk/year ... if you can get it. This place (Hilo side) is notorious for crap medical care ... anyone who enjoys living without disfigurement flies to Oahu.

Dividing up the land would require the County Planning Dept. approval … they do not like dividing up parcels of land here because BIG developers would come in and well, you know what they’d do … on a small lot like this, I dunno … they’d have a tough time refusing though as the usual reason is “every parcel needs to have it’s own access to the road” and this unique piece of property has a bloody STATE road (that looks like it’s your driveway) that travels to the state land behind it …a very unique situation.

Snorkeling (on the Kona side) rivals the best in the world … Kealakakua Bay (where Cook landed and eventually became lunch) is really unfuckingbelievable … over here, uh … well, the warm ponds have really pretty minnows n’shit … I saw a turtle once.
Old 08-06-07, 12:37 PM   #17
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool There's one in every town ... it's just hard to find.

Another alternative to land ownership is to locate your local center for the blind … you can probably just move into their building somewhere … just make sure you put everything back in place.
Old 08-06-07, 01:20 PM   #18
Rachel Peters

Why didn't you mention the minnows n' shit earlier??!
I wish I was in a position to trade in my half-a-lot of inner-city for a hunk of paradise. ...all I need is a lean-to and a few minnows n' shit.
Man... six months ago, I coulda jumped. Now I'm just a jobless artist with her arms in braces.

www.rachelpeters.com

Last edited by Rachel Peters; 08-06-07 at 05:39 PM.
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 12:23 AM   #19
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Lightbulb Hale Butterfly

Quote:
I'm just a jobless artist with her arms in braces.
... sounds like a lot of the people who live here ...
now, all you have to do is knock all your teeth out and you'll fit right in.

Listen, here is a better idea ... one that all pnet'rs can take advantage of ... and I can take advantage of them in the process ... here is my proposal:

I already have one of those spaghetti lots … it is less than 100 feet wide at the back of my property … it borders on the back by a teeny vacant lot (that hopefully will be for sale) … here’s the kicker … if I can buy that little lot (it shouldn’t cost THAT much fuck please) then I can make a driveway to the back of my land … hell, I’ve only been back there maybe 10 times in two years … it is so far from my house I couldn’t hear anything or see anything going on back there if I tried … so … I pay to clear it … I’ll pay for materials … and I’ll supply the tools n’stuff … all I need is pnet’rs to design and build a house with me (I do good grunt work but I’m no carpenter) … anybody that helps can stay there up to 2 weeks a year (I will add addendums later) when it’s done. So as not to disturb Kumi, I can only offer my guest rooms while she is away on her trips unless she likes you but that won’t happen if you juggle or street perform … too many others ruined it for you a long time ago.

Who’s interested?
Old 08-11-07, 01:22 PM   #20
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly Jumponit Bugsey

Well, well, well ... only a few have contacted me privately concerning the 10.64 acres in Opihikao ... I really thought we were walking away from it ... BUT ... all of a sudden ... the Jap went back for a THIRD look ... something she never does ... it looks like we're gonna do it ... if they accept our offer that is ... to be continued ...