performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 01-25-08, 09:27 AM   #1
FADE

Send a message via AIM to FADE
Default help! cirque audition

I applied for a job at Cirque du Soleil's web site and I got an email asking me to audition in NY Feb 23rd. Now I'd really really love to be part of cirque du soleil, but I'm curious if it will be worth the time investment if I get there and find out I'm the least qualified in a room of 500 other dancers or something.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the audition process for cirque?

I just don't want to waste transportation and hotel money unless I have a decent chance.

Hope I'm posting in the right place, I did a forum search, didn't really see another place for it.
Old 01-25-08, 11:17 AM   #2
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

I've auditioned and I know the dude that

They're gonna look for confidence dependability and ability. If you don't have it, you won't get in.

Ask them to pay for your travel and lodging, then you have no risk.
Old 01-25-08, 11:42 AM   #3
Frisbee

massachusetts is not even that far a drive to new york, you can even take the bus to and from same day if you do not want to drive and or stay over night, it will cut your costs down.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 01-25-08, 10:18 PM   #4
Mike Weakley

<< I just don't want to waste transportation and hotel money unless I have a decent chance. >>

What would be worse... going and discovering you really don't have a decent chance, or not going and never knowing? GO FOR IT!
Mike Weakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 02:25 PM   #5
Steven Ragatz

"You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Steven Ragatz (Cirque du Soleil 'Artiste')

PS. Your lucky numbers are: 5 16 19 26 32
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 02:45 PM   #6
Stephon
Handonmy Member

This won't be helpful in your situation, but I thought it was important to remember.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 04:08 PM   #7
robtonto

Send a message via AIM to robtonto

Go for it Joe! From the shows I did catch this past summer, I can tell that you have some good chops, and you definitely show confidence while performing. Good luck bro!
robtonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 12:04 PM   #8
FADE

Default wow

thanks for all the support and tips.

Hey Rob! How's your showbuilding/auditioning stuff been going?

The park's been looking kinda tempting to me lately. I do have a 15 minute show now if they'll pay me for it...
Old 01-27-08, 06:36 PM   #9
martin ewen

Lurk do you look good in a wetsuit?

There may be around 50 people at the audition, it may go for two days, they screen people out at random intervals.
In my case they got it down to the last 12. But that doesn't mean you have a job.
It means you get a piece of paper saying you passed the audition and they owe you nothing, standard.

You then get to flirt with them via email for months like an energetic cocker spaniel.

presumably,
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 07:40 PM   #10
jeep caillouet

Default fade

Exactly what do you do that makes you think that you deserve money. And please don't tell me juggle.If you do something original and exciting then I'd say you have a good chance , and I hope you do. If you don't you'll just be one of those 50 or so. Dern I just smoked a fatty , I fade. Good luck
Old 01-27-08, 08:49 PM   #11
Steven Ragatz

Quote:
Exactly what do you do that makes you think that you deserve money. And please don't tell me juggle.
Actually, I auditioned for Cirque du Soleil, showed them what I could do for money, and have subsequently performed with them for years. And yes, I did it juggling.

Exactly what do you do that makes you think that you know everything about juggling? And please don't tell me that you've seen them all.

Steven Ragatz
Old 01-27-08, 11:21 PM   #12
jeep caillouet

Default juggling

Howdy Steven, I would like to be the first to congratulate you but I'm sure I'm not.Congratulations to you for getting the gig.I guess you where the best of the some 50 or so. That for sure speaks a lot. Sonny Holiday told me some30 years ago that wonce you've seen one juggler you've seen the all , they all do the same thing,juggle. That is unless you where that guy on the Jerry springer show last week,then it was oops ,shit,I hope no body saw that. Who was that guy any way?My thoughts were just be creative,do good and go for it.
Old 01-28-08, 07:34 AM   #13
Pyromancer

Come on, you didnt fill in that form for nothing. You got out of it what is possible so far, so why not take the chance to go ahead? It may be a little investment in time and money, but it may pay off really well and if not, you can look back at an interesting experience.

I got an invitation to audition 3 years ago. Out of some 90 people, most of them very skilled and talented acrobats which made me kindas shy about my own talents I was one of the 9 that stayed till the very end.

And indeed, I got this paper, telling me they want to keep me in their database and all that. They haven't called me (yet), but I absolutely do not regret the 1400 kilometers I drove, not the two nights in a hotel I had to book.
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 09:46 AM   #14
Steven Ragatz

Quote:
Sonny Holiday told me some30 years ago that wonce you've seen one juggler you've seen the all , they all do the same thing,juggle.
Well, clearly Sonny Holiday was wrong.

Don't be biased towards any discipline whether it be juggling, mime, magic or whatever, particularly on this forum. Jeep, you've posted your animosity towards jugglers in the past (several times). If you are looking for shock value, then you're just generating Internet noise. If you really do believe that there are no good juggling acts, then you're just plain ignorant. You don't have to do many shows to know it isn't what skills you base your act around, it's how you present it.

Congratulations on getting hired are not needed, though the sentiment is appreciated. When I replied to the Cirque du Soleil's job posting I knew that I was going to be offered the position, what I wasn't sure about was whether or not I wanted to take it. In hindsight, it was a good choice for me to join the troupe at that time, but it isn't for everyone. It is like working for Disney (something I've also done) but quite a bit cooler. However, like any long term gig, eventually the new car smell wears off and you still have to do shows - usually hundreds and hundreds of them.

My advice for the audition process is to bring to the table what you would want to be performing. Offer something to them, don't ask them what they want. Show yourself, your physicality, humor, enthusiasm, your joie de vivre. Go big and go bold. No mater what they might try to tell you, they need you, not the other way around. Don't forget, there are two sides to the coin - don't get yourself wrapped up in getting the job so much that you forget that once you get it, you then have to do it as well (that's the tough part).

At the very least, the process of preparing for the audition will challenge you and force you to clean yourself up - something we should all have to do once in a while.

Steven Ragatz
Old 01-28-08, 10:23 AM   #15
FADE

Martin, Jeep, Pyro, Thank you so much for the the raw numbers! I feel a lot better knowing I'm maybe looking at a 1 in 40 ratio rather than a 1 in 500.

I'm definitely glad I'm not auditioning my juggling skills. I tend to agree that it's something that everybody seems to be doing and I usually find juggling very bland for this reason.

I've seen some of your work Steven, and I'm given to wonder if perhaps, the reason you managed to get into cirque wasn't because of your technical skills, which you are, but because you've taken it in a new direction creatively?

Jeep, I'm auditioning a hip hop dance number with hand balancing, contortion, and pop n' lock.

Pyromancer, I assume you auditioned your fire skills, what was the process of auditioning that like? I'm very tempted to add my staff/club skills in.
Old 01-28-08, 10:37 AM   #16
FADE

Steven, thank you so much for the advice. I'll take it to heart. Looks like we posted at almost the same time so I didn't see your response until just now. Very inspiring!

It really is a nice opportunity to build a new routine. I have been getting too lazy.
Old 01-28-08, 11:01 AM   #17
Steven Ragatz

Quote:
I've seen some of your work Steven, and I'm given to wonder if perhaps, the reason you managed to get into cirque wasn't because of your technical skills, which you are, but because you've taken it in a new direction creatively?
The reason I work with Cirque is because I fit the part. That's the reason anyone ever gets cast for any show. Fuck enthusiasm. I get emails all the time from people who's 'life dream' is to work for Cirque du Soleil and that they would 'do anything' if they could join.

If you've got a wish in one hand, and a pile of shit in the other, what have you got?

Just shit.

One gets cast for gigs one is suited to do. Now, don't forget that the best person for the job doesn't always get it. On the contrary, you have to schmooze and utilize contacts to play the game. But that is part of what makes someone 'best for the part'. People hire people that they want to work with. Strong networking will net you more work than being the best at anything. Empower yourself and be prepared to be at the right place at the right time.

Mostly, educate yourself. Comments like
Quote:
it's something that everybody seems to be doing and I usually find juggling very bland for this reason
just point out that you need to research the field to understand what sells and what has been done. No, you don't have to be a juggler, but attitudes like that don't convince me you've got enough experience to be of interest to an international entertainment company like Cirque du Soleil. It's a big business out there, and limiting yourself to the local world around you, and its local biases, will keep you stuck in that local world.

Either do what everyone else does, but better, or you do something completely different and take a risk, or get a desk job.

Steven Ragatz
Old 01-28-08, 01:00 PM   #18
FADE

All right, I see you've got some very strong feelings on the subject, understandably so.

You are right about local experience coloring my opinions. I very rarely do any juggling here because the crowds start to walk away almost immediately. With my lackluster juggling skills, I can't say that I blame them, but I've seen the same happen to much better jugglers than myself. Downright vicious.

I apologize for where my lack of experience is offensive, but I can only speak from the experience I have. I do have to admit, I've become a bit jaded where it comes to juggling and you make a good point.

Having said that, screw desk jobs. I already know I'm good enough I'll never have to do that again, whether cirque decides they like my act or not.

Thanks for the help folks, I really appreciate the input... Poor vagina lady...
Old 01-28-08, 01:11 PM   #19
Frisbee

Good juggler, bad juggler...does not matter if you are not connecting with your audience....The most frequent reason people will walk away from an act is the lack of connection.

You say that your lack of experience has already made you jaded towards jugglers...

hmmmmmmmm...............

i think your answer is in the statement you gave.
you have a lack of experience to know better.

how is it that someone who has a lack of experience is going to audition for cirque, maybe you are not ready for the bigger picture, though I do wish you the best of luck.

I was not going to post to this thread which has gone off topic, but your lack of experience and ignorance towards mutiple disciplines has made me feel the need.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 01-28-08, 01:14 PM   #20
jeep caillouet

Default pictures

Fade, I just checked your web cite,I missed pictures of you or your act.