performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 02-03-08, 11:39 PM   #1
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young
Default k, how bad is this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElITZayIjgw

obvious flaws, like the fact that the only days I get huge full circle crowds are the same days my vid person can't show up (happened again this weekend; sat was huge with no camera, sun was small with camera.)

slowly working hack bits like the torch between the legs out of the show.

hopefully gonna add more length soon.

Juggling is not as unique and special as a dog show.

someday I will get a better camera.

But overall I think this this little vid has a nice feel so far, what do ya'll think?

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 08:03 AM   #2
Jim
Your Host

Needs more camera angles. That one, head on, full body shot with a sparse audience behind you gets a little tedious. It feels like the classic "tripod" shot seen all too often.

Pick a sunnier day. The overall tone is very gray.

Needs some audience reaction shots. Or even just one. It looks like you're performing for 20 people. During the big finale, there's a guy walking by in the background looking disinterested.

Have your cameraperson take shots from behind you, shooting at the front row.

I think juggling CAN be as unique and special as a dog show. But that depends on the juggler.

It sounds like you're not happy with the video, yet you've posted it for the world to see. Why not wait for some better footage?
Old 02-04-08, 09:39 AM   #3
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Posted it just to see if ya'll had any ideas I hadn't been thinking about. Posted what I had problems with so that you wouldn't dwell on what I was already thinking about. Won't be posting a finished product because I won't want you undermining my confidence about sending it out.

getting better footage has been the biggest problems ever. In the summer when I'm working almost every day, I pretty much only work at night. Then, in the winter when I only work during the occasional nice day the crowds are super hit or miss in terms of size; and the days that hit are the days I can't get the camera there, every time, and I've tried really hard (but somehow the money is still there). I can't wait forever, I need something to send out now.

I don't actually think this vid is that bad. It demonstrates the feel of my show, so that's a good start.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:45 AM   #4
Rick Martin

How about buying a couple of blank mini DV tapes and keeping them with your props. Before the show ask a tourist or two with camcorders to film your show. Explain what your are trying to accomplish and it's likely they will want to help you. Tell them they don't have to film the entire thing and whatever footage they get will be appreciated. You'll get loads of raw footage and will eventually get something you can use.
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 01:12 PM   #5
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

agreed. you'll get better footage from a random stranger

also, the music slows everything down. I'm glad you took a risk on it, but it's too slow